Power Engineer Career Accelerator
Power Engineer Career Accelerator is an introductory program that covers basic safety certifications and workplace readiness and prepares you to take power engineering at an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Program Length
- 2 weeks
- Currently Offered In
Power Engineer Career Accelerator is a free introductory 2-week virtual program comprised of workplace readiness training with Women Building Futures (WBF). This program is for students starting an approved power engineering program at one of our partner post-secondary institutions in Alberta.
In addition to the 2-week training, WBF offers the following
- free basic safety certifications outside of the virtual training
- ability to apply to WBF’s scholarship fund to have a portion of their tuition at the post-secondary institute reimbursed
- paid work placements with our industry partners (for required steam time)
- connection to long-term employment opportunities with our industry partners
- access to lifetime support from our Alumni and Career Services team
After finishing the 2-week program with WBF in August 2024, students will start an approved post-secondary power engineering program. Students will complete required work placements with one of our industry partners, except at Keyano College, where they take Keyano’s 200-hour power lab.
To be eligible for the Power Engineer Career Accelerator program, students must be accepted into one of the following programs starting in fall 2024.
- Lakeland College: Process and Powering Engineering
- Portage College: Power Engineering 4th Class
- Keyano College: Power Engineering 4th Class Power Comprehensive
- SAIT: Power Engineering Technology
- NAIT: Power Engineering 4th Class Part A and Power Engineering 4th Class Part B
Some post-secondary institutions offer a 2-year program to progress through 4th Class and 3rd Class power engineering, while at others you will need to apply separately to the 4th and 3rd Class programs. At WBF, we’re here to support you through your 3rd Class power engineering certification.
Applicants who receive conditional acceptance into an approved post-secondary power engineering program are encouraged to apply to the Power Engineer Career Accelerator program. This will give you time to work through the application process with WBF while waiting for your final acceptance.
Our industry partners
Paid work placements will be provided at one of our industry partners’ operating facilities in Alberta.
Our industry partners include:
- Pembina Pipeline
- Inter Pipeline
Additional partners will be announced soon.
Students must be available for a placement at one of our partners’ locations in:
- Industrial Heartland (northeast of Edmonton)
- Fort McMurray
- Fox Creek
Courses and Skills
- Standard First Aid – CPR A & AED
- Confined Space Entry Level 1
- H2S Alive
- Best Practices for Working in Construction
- Career Development
- Drawing and Blueprint Reading
- Applicants must meet admission requirements and be accepted to one of the post-secondary programs listed.
- Successful completion of a fitness screening
- Successful completion of a drug and alcohol assessment
- Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence
Applicants will also need to complete a variety of steps as part of their application.
- WBF tuition is funded by our program sponsors Pembina Pipeline and Inter Pipeline.
- Accepted students must cover tuition costs at the post-secondary institution for power engineering. However, students are eligible to apply to WBF’s scholarship fund to have a portion of their tuition reimbursed.
- Additional financial support may be available to support students in this program.
This program provides an opportunity for paid work placements and employment across Alberta with the program sponsors, Pembina Pipeline and Inter Pipeline.
Our employer partners are committed to safe, inclusive workplace cultures and to supporting our graduates’ career progression, which they show by signing on as a WBF Employer of Choice.
August 6, 2024 - August 16, 2024
- Application Deadline
- June 23, 2024
Power Engineer Career Accelerator is a free introductory 2-week virtual program comprised of workplace readiness training with Women Building Futures.
Register for an information session
- Tuesday, March 12 at 12 p.m.
- Thursday, April 4 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 1 at 12 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 4 at 6 p.m.