Pre-Apprenticeship Heavy Equipment Technician
This 4-week program offers the essential safety certification, hands-on skills, and workplace awareness to begin an apprenticeship as a heavy equipment technician.
- Program Length
- 4 weeks
- Currently Offered In
- Fort McMurray
Heavy equipment technicians maintain, repair and overhaul heavy vehicles and industrial heavy equipment, and commercial transport devices connected to or moved by a power unit.
The Pre-Apprenticeship Heavy Equipment Technician program is a four-week training program designed to prepare women to begin their careers as a Heavy Equipment Technician (HET).
Classroom training consists of completion of required safety tickets, hands-on training and WBF best practices to prepare the student to begin employment.
Courses and Skills
- Standard First Aid – CPR A & AED
- CSTS 2020 & WHMIS
- Overhead Crane & Hoisting
- Common Safety Orientation (CSO)
- WBF Best Practices
- Healthy Choices
- Financial Tool Kit
- Hands-on skills training
- Math Review
- Career Development
- Successful completion of fitness screening (50lb lift/carry) and drug & alcohol assessment
- Full class 5 driver’s licence (no GDL)
- Clean criminal record check (recommended)
- Academic requirements to expedite movement into Apprenticeship role:
- English 20-2, Math 20-3, and Science 10
a pass mark in all five Canadian GED tests
successful pass of the Alberta AIT exam
Applicants will also need to complete a variety of steps as part of their application.
- Tuition and supplies for this program are funded by WBF partners.
- Additional funding and awards may be available to support living expenses while in the program.
Sign up for program updates and you’ll be the first to find out when this program is accepting applications again.
Register for an information session