Journeywoman Start is an introductory construction trades program that prepares you with the basic hands-on skills, safety certifications, and experience to begin a career in the construction trades.
- Program Length
- 12-17 weeks
- Currently Offered In
- Fort McMurray
Journeywoman Start (JWS) is a hands-on training program that introduces students to a variety of different construction trades:
The program is designed to help students prepare for and succeed as an entry level construction trades apprentice worker.
Specific trades training will be dependent on individual intakes and locations.
Courses and Skills
- Basic safety certifications and first aid training
- Hands-on skills training in workshops for various trades
- Workplace culture and financial literacy
- Academics (math & science) to prepare for Apprenticeship Industry Training entrance exam
- Interview & resume workshops to support employment
- Ongoing mentorship and support through alumni advisors
What you need to apply
- Must be an Alberta resident
- A class 5 drivers’ license (recommended)
We do not require a high school diploma for this program; however, applicants will take an assessment for basic math, science, and reading skills and will need to meet a minimum score.
- Tuition for this program is sponsored by the Government of Alberta
- Additional funding and awards may be available to support living expenses while in the program.
Upon completion, graduates will be interviewed with WBF Employment Partners for potential employment in an entry level construction role.
January 17, 2022 - May 13, 2022
- Application Deadline
- October 11, 2021
This is an introductory construction trades program that provides basic skills to begin an entry-level role in the industry.
Attend an Upcoming Information Session