Journey to Trades
Journey to Trades is an introductory construction trades program that prepares you with the basic hands-on skills, safety certifications, and experience to begin a career in the construction trades.
- Program Length
- 17 weeks
- Currently Offered In
- Fort McMurray
Journey to Trades (formerly Journeywoman Start) is a hands-on training program that introduces students to a variety of different construction trades:
- mechanics (Fort McMurray)
- millwright (Fort McMurray)
The program is designed to help students prepare for and succeed as an entry level construction trades apprentice worker.
Specific trades training will be dependent on individual intakes and locations.
Courses and Skills
- Basic safety certifications and first aid training
- Hands-on skills training in workshops for various trades
- Workplace culture and financial literacy
Practical science and math for the trades
- Interview & resume workshops to support employment
- Ongoing mentorship and support through alumni advisors
What you need to apply:
- Must be an Alberta resident
- A class 5 drivers’ license (recommended)
Applicants will also need to complete a variety of steps as part of their application.
- Tuition for this program is sponsored by the Government of Alberta
- Additional funding and awards may be available to support living expenses while in the program.
Upon completion, graduates will be interviewed with WBF Employment Partners for potential employment in an entry level construction role.
October 10, 2023 - February 16, 2024
- Application Deadline
- August 6, 2023
This is an introductory construction trades program that provides basic skills to begin an entry-level role in the industry.
Register for an information session