New Dawning: Indigenous Class 3
A hands-on training program tailored to support Indigenous women in obtaining a Class 3 Drivers Licence.
- Program Length
- 6 weeks
- Currently Offered In
This program provides you with essential safety certifications, theory and hands-on training needed to enter the industry and successfully obtain a Class 3 Driver’s License. At the end of this program, graduates will be able to drive and operate equipment such as snowplows, wireline trucks and hydrovacs. Our graduates are currently operating various types of equipment in construction and city maintenance.
We were proud to work with a local Indigenous Elder to create the name for this program. New Dawning signifies the birthing of a new idea and relates to our mission of supporting Indigenous women through the process of starting a new career. Special thank you to Elder Starlight for your support of naming this program.
Courses and Skills
- Basic safety certifications
- Driver training and practice time with licensed Class 3 drivers
- Workplace culture and financial literacy
- Interview & resume workshops to support employment
- Ongoing mentorship and support through alumni advisors*Following the 6-week program, students will complete a driving test to obtain a Class 3 driver’s license. Test scheduling is contingent on testing facility availability and may require some additional time.
- Must be a Calgary Area resident, of First Nation (Status or Non-Status), Métis or Inuit ancestry
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- A clean 5 year Driver’s Abstract
- Must be an Alberta resident
- Tuition for this program is sponsored by the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples.
- Applicants are responsible for covering the costs of the Government of Alberta Class 3 Knowledge test and a driver’s abstract.
- Additional funding and awards may be available to support living expenses while in the program.
Upon completion, graduates will be interviewed with WBF Employment Partners for potential employment as an entry level Driver & Operator.
February 28, 2022 - April 15, 2021
- Application Deadline
- November 1, 2021
This program will prepare off-reserve Indigenous women to obtain a Class 3 Drivers license and begin their career as a professional driver.
Attend an Upcoming Information Session