Introduction to Heavy Equipment Operating
This 3-week program offers the essential safety certification, classroom learning and workplace best practices to begin a career as a Heavy Equipment Operator.
- Program Length
- 3 weeks
- Currently Offered In
- Fort McMurray
What’s a Heavy Equipment Operator?
Heavy equipment operators drive and operate many different types of equipment, including skid steers, packer and rock trucks.
About the course:
The Introduction to Heavy Equipment Operating Program is a 3-week classroom training program delivered in collaboration with BFI Constructors Ltd. Students will receive two weeks of virtual and one week of in-person learning at Keyano College in Fort McMurray.
Could I do this?
Absolutely, if you’re:
- Motivated to be a Heavy Equipment Operator
- Willing to learn, have a positive attitude, and are flexible to changing conditions.
- Comfortable with working alone in a truck for extended periods of time.
Courses and Skills
- Standard First Aid – CPR A & AED
- CSTS 2020 & WHMIS
- Common Safety Orientation (CSO)
- Ground Disturbance
- H2S Alive
- Wildlife Bear Awareness
- WBF Best Practices
- Career Development
- Healthy Choices
- Financial Tool Kit
- Must be an Alberta resident
- Full class 5 driver’s licence (no GDL)
- High school diploma preferred
- Must be able to travel to Fort McMurray and stay for 1 week of in-person training
- 3-year drivers abstract
- Successful completion of fitness screening (35lb lift/carry) and drug & alcohol assessment.
- Must be able to work 14 on 7 off schedule, days and nights on rotation, and 12-hour shifts.
- Must have reliable transportation to flight hubs in Edmonton or Calgary. Busses will be provided from Fort McMurray to camp accommodations.
Applicants will also need to complete a variety of steps as part of their application.
- Tuition for this program is funded by BFI Constructors Ltd. and the Government of Alberta.
- Student housing and transportation during in-person training.
- Driver’s abstract for program application and onboarding with BFI for successful grads.
- Additional funding and awards may be available to support living expenses while in the program.
Sign up for program updates and you’ll be the first to find out when this program is accepting applications again.
Register for an information session